Sunday, November 13, 2011

an open letter to Paul from Tarsus

why don't you relax a little bit,
drop the pen and forget the letters.
oh, Paul, haven't you ever

seen a woman with her hair down,
arching her back like a sleepy cat?
it makes circumcision feel so

unimportant--all this angry ink bled
over a third eyelid when you could
be over another body, inking your

fingernails into some parchment skin.
Paul, I know you read the Song of
Solomon sometimes, let your fingers

walk down to that strange appendage
that dangles from your body like
an extra set of rosary beads, Paul,

I think you stifle your lonely
come-song into a set of scrolls,
inscribe your loneliness with a

couple drops of white ink spilled on
an empty page, still warm with your
body but colder than an obituary


4 comments:

  1. Yes. Please do a biblically themed chapbook. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to help a dude out-- Paul seems like he is frustrated on the most physical of planes

    thanks. I will do it. For you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah woah woah. So so nice.
    Reading Thessalonians now so this is also relevant to my interests.

    ReplyDelete