Tuesday, November 13, 2012

hand sanitizer, antibacterial, 99.2% of germs killed


There are some places I have been:
a Laundromat at midnight on a Sunday,
the spin cycles turning precise,
cleaner than the hands of a clock.
That was the first time I knew I would
grow old.

I die more and cleaner every day. My
husband says, You worry too much. I wash
my hands in the sink and say, There’s no
such thing as worrying too much.

I have been to a children’s soccer game when it
rained. All the jerseyed children stopped kicking
soft-skulled balls to tilt their heads back, yawn their
mouths wide, eyes shut and baby-bird throats
opening to catch the water.
I was too afraid of lightning to move.

The truth is
tally lines grow on my face, not wrinkles.
Relatives die. My husband leaves the house
each morning. I say, Drive safe. He says,
Yeah, yeah. I wash my hands in the sink. There’s
no such thing as worrying too much.

3 comments:

  1. chloe for what it's worth, i've been trying hard to think of your narrators as separate from the author

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks max. don't pull a muscle or anything. stop if you feel yourself using your lower back.

    ReplyDelete