Monday, November 12, 2012

mornings, the sadness rises in me
like an only sun. it's gray outside
my window, gray inside too. Iowa
is Auntie Em's funeral on a skit-skattered
grainy loop. i want to go home, home

home, i think. i close the curtains. i open
them again.  C Avenue is exactly the same as
it was the first time they opened-- clouds grayed
and faded in the wash, trees veiny
wrists twist-growing among
 a factory smell harder
than sidewalks.

dorothy understands me-- she clicked her heels
together like cymbals til she couldn't hear the
wound of her own want
anymore.

3 comments:

  1. last stanzaaaaaa, big fan.
    where's home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! good question. home is a place i haven't been yet i guess. an idealized combination of all of the things i love about new mexico and iowa but with none of the parts about them i hate and my parents feed me and love me and pay my rent but don't expect me to live with them and everyone wants to talk about me as much as i do

    ReplyDelete