Wednesday, November 7, 2012

slicing the tomatoes

I like to slice the tomatoes. I like it a lot.

When I slice the tomatoes, I use a machine.

The machine is called Hobart.

On the machine there is a sticker that says ‘BIRTHDAY MASSACRE’.

Here is what I do when I slice the tomatoes:
1. I get the box of tomatoes from the big fridge. I inspect them and select the reddest, firmest tomatoes to slice.

2. I core the tomatoes; this consists of using a paring knife to remove the top, sliding my finger outside my cut mark, and fingering the core—sliding it out sexually with a crisp ‘slop’ that resounds when the arterial bits pour out.

3. Two at a time, I place them into the slicing tray, set the heavy, studded handle atop them and slide the handle over and over. I’m slicing. I make approximately 8 slices of tomato per tomato. I like them to be perfect and thin and red and complete.

4. I set the tomatoes in the bucket. As the bucket fills, I press the tomatoes down in interlaced rows.

5. When I finish, I mop the seeds and juice with a yellow rag. I squeeze the juice/seed combo from the soaking orange rag into the trash can.

6. I put the tomatoes in the small fridge. I smile. I like to slice the tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment